Saturday 7 June 2008

Rangefinder!


A new film camera, in 2008? Am I mad?
I believe not.
I like the feel of film, its a nice tactile medium. It also has the suspense and surprise that instant playback and review lacks.
This is a rangefinder camera, close in size to a compact camera, but with interchangable lenses, an accurate rangefinder focus system, and it uses film.
Negatives and slides are great, they are easy to view, easy to store, and provided I dont loose them, should be viewable in twenty years time, when DVD's and CD's are a closed optical disc thingy.
I have been scanning some slides taken by my grandfather, forty to forty five years ago. Makes you wonder why your taking pictures, if they are to be so fleeting.
I am not abandonning my DSLR, but I dont think I'd replace it either.

Camera of choice, a Voigtlander Bessa R3A.
lens, a 40mm standard lens.
Film, fomapan, a lovely smooth black and white film.


No comments: